https://mywellspringhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/logo1.png 0 0 Wellspring Health https://mywellspringhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/logo1.png Wellspring Health2010-12-08 18:04:472010-12-08 18:04:47Maharishi Ayurveda Recipes: Breads
Maharishi Ayurveda Recipes: Breads
American colonists first incorporated New World cornmeal into their Old World breads. Try the variations separately, or put them all together in one go-for-broke batter. Ayurveda also recognizes this food as both medicinal and delicious.
- 1 – 1/2 cups unbleached organic white flour.
- 1 – 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1/3 cup raw or packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 melted organic gheeor oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. For crusty cornbread, place in oven to heat.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Add the melted Ghee or oil, buttermilk, and water. Mix just until blended.
- Pour into the pan. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Unlike other quick breads, cornbread can be eaten as soon as it is baked — hot and crumbly is heavenly.
- Reduce the sugar to 3 tablespoons and add chopped jalapeno chilies, chopped bell peppers, and/or sliced dried tomatoes to the batter.
- Add chopped green herbs, such as sage, cilantro, or dill, to the batter.
- Add fresh corn kernels to the batter.
Recipe is reprinted with permission from Heaven’s Banquet, by Miriam Kasin Hospodar, April, 1999.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 cup Chapati flour
- 2 teaspoons organic ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons yogurt
- ghee for frying
- Mix ghee and flour with your fingers. Stir in salt, seeds and baking powder.
- Add ghee and knead dough until smooth and even.
- Divide dough into four balls. Roll out one ball to a 5-inch circle.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add one teaspoon ghee and fry bread on both sides until light brown. Press it down with a skillet to make it puff up. Repeat with the rest of the balls. Serve warm. Great with soup, dahl or salad.
Sugar-Free Fruit Bread
- 1 cup finely chopped dates
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup ghee, melted
- 3 sweet apples, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Place chopped dates and raisins in a 2-cup measuring cup and cover with water. Soak for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Mix ghee and apples. Add soaked dates and raisins.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and stir into wet ingredients until thoroughly moist. Stir in walnuts; the batter will be thick.
- Spoon the mixture into the buttered pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 50 minutes.You can also make a dozen muffins from the same batter. Bake on 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes.